CURRENT AFFAIRS FROM PIB(PRESS INFORMATION BUREAU), MARCH 27th, 2019
CURRENT AFFAIRS PIB March 27 2019
Pic Credit : PIB INS Kadmatt
- Indian Navy to take part in the 15th edition of LIMA-19 (Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition).
- Indian Navy’s frontline ASW corvette, INS Kadmatt arrived at Langkawi, Malaysia.
- Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition,LIMA-19 is a seven day event.
- INS Kadmatt (P 29) is an indigenous stealth anti-submarine warfare corvette. The ship is fitted with state of the art weapons, sensors and machinery.
- Malaysia and India are maritime neighbours.
What is a corvette
- Corvette is a small warship and it is the smallest class of vessel in sea to be considered a proper warship.
- Above warship class is the frigate which is bigger than corvette.
Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu
- In a first, the Indian Army to take its maiden Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu (8485m).
- The objective is of summiting all challenging peaks above 8000M, which will start from Mt Makalu.
- Mt Makalu is considered the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,485 metres.
- Mt Makalu located in the southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and Tibet, China.
- Mt Makalu is considered amongst the most dangerous peaks.
- To summit the peak one has to go through the freezing temperatures and inclement weather conditions which is considered very challenging.
- Mt Makalu is an isolated peak & whose shape is like that of a four-sided pyramid.
Top five highest peaks of the world
- Mount Everest (8848m), Nepal
- Also called “Sagarmatha” in Nepali or Chomolungma in Tibetan.
- It got its name after a survey by the Land Surveyor General ’Sir George Everest’.
- Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and Edmund Hillary was the first one on earth to climb Mount Everest in May 1953.
- Mount K2 (8611m), Pakistan China
- Mt K2 is situated on the border of China and Pakistan.
- The name K2 stands for the 2nd peak in the Karakoram Range.
- Mt K2 also known as Mount Godwin-Austen or Chhogori.
- Mt K2 is the second highest mountain in the world, after Mount Everest.
- Mount Kanchenjunga (8586m), Nepal/India
- Mount Kanchenjunga is located in both parts, Nepal and India.
- Kanchenjunga is also known as “The Five Treasures of Snows”.
- Mount Lhotse (8511m), Nepal
- Mount Lhotse is connected to Mount Everest.
- Lhotse is located on the border of Nepal and Tibet.
- Also known as one of the most deadly mountains in the world.
- Mount Makalu (8485m), Nepal
- Mount Makalu is the fifth highest mountain on the earth with an elevation of 8485m.
- Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy were the first people on the earth to climb Mt Makalu.
What is Mankad run out in Cricket
# Mankad is a type of dismissal where the bowler runs out the batsman at the non-striker end when the batsman leaves the crease before the bowler throws the ball to the batsman at the strikers end.
# The dismissal is named after the great ex India cricketer Vinoo Mankad who was the first to do this type of dismissal.
# Vinoo Mankad did this in a Test against Australia in 1947.
# Recently this came in news when in the ongoing cricket tournament Indian Premier League where the KXIP captain Ravichandran Ashwin did this typ of dismissal (mankaded).