Weekly PIB GIST / CRUX march
Press Information Bureau, PIB GIST/CRUX for March Last week 2019
Weekly PIB GIST march
Young Scientist Programme (Yuvika)
- India’s space research organisation ISRO has launched a special programme for School Children.
- The Program is called as “Young Scientist Programme” “YUva VIgyani KAryakram” (युिवका) from current year 2019.
- The program is aimed at training young minds & imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology.
- To catch young minds ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) has started this program.
- Eligibility for this program is those candidates who finished 9th standard (in the academic year 2018-19) and waiting to join 10th standard (or those who have started 10th Std just now) will be eligible for the programme.
- Selection will be based on the 8th Std marks.
Chinook Helicopters in Indian Air Force
- Indian Air Force on Monday 25th March 2019 formally inducted CH 47 F(I)- Chinook heavy lift Helicopters.
- Chinook Helicopters were provided by Boeing Ltd (an American multinational corporation) with whom Indian Air Force(IAF) has signed a contract for 15 such Chinook helicopters.
- The helicopter is capable of airlifting diverse military and non military loads into remote locations.
- The Chinook helicopters are designed to airlift heavy payloads at high altitudes which will be suitable for areas like high Himalayas.
- Addition of Chinook helicopters is a significant step towards modernisation of Indian Air Force’s helicopter fleet.
- It’s a battle tested trusted helicopter worldwide.
Weekly PIB Gist March
Exercise Al Nagah – III 2019
Pic credit: PIB
- Indian Army and Royal Oman Army has successfully completed the third edition of joint military training exercise, Exercise AL NAGAH 2019.
- This joint training exercise between the two countries is concluded at Jabel AI Akhdar training camp, Oman.
- Exercise Al Nagah was a two-week long exercise had commenced on 12 March 2019 in which 60 Indian Army Soldiers took part.
NITI Aayog organised FinTech Conclave 2019
- A day-long FinTech Conclave at Dr. Ambedkar International Center, New Delhi has been organised by NITI Aayog.
- Its main objective is for comprehensive financial inclusion.
- Fin Tech Conclave was inaugurated by RBI Governor,Shaktikanta Das.
- Its worth noted that The Indian FinTech ecosystem is the third largest in the globe.
- CEO of NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog is Amitabh Kant with its headquarter in New Delhi, India.
- NITI Aayog was Formed on 1st January 2015
World Tuberculosis Day
- World Tuberculosis Day is observed every year on 24th March.
- It is observed to commemorate the anniversary of Dr. Robert Koch who discovered the Tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in 1882.
- World Tuberculosis Day theme for 2019 is is “It’s Time”.
- India has renewed its commitments and intentions to end TB (Tuberculosis) by 2025 which is 5 years ahead of global target of 2030.
New Chief of Naval Staff
- Vice Admiral Karambir Singh will take over as Next Chief of Naval Staff
- Present Chief of Naval Staff is Admiral Sunil Lanba.
- Param VishishtSeva Medal (PVSM) and the AtiVishishtSeva Medal (AVSM) are two medals associated with the Indian Navy.
Who Notifies Rate of Exchange of conversion of the Foreign Currencies
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- CBIC determines the Rate of Exchange of conversion of each of the foreign currencies
- The powers conferred to Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) by Section 14 of the Customs Act, 1962
- There are total 22 foreign currencies notified in the two Schedule i.e., Schedule I & Schedule II.
Africa- India Field Training Exercise-2019
- 17 African nations & India took part in the inaugural Africa-India Field Training Exercise , AFINDEX-19.
- Focussed on on exchange of best practices amongst the participating nations in the guidelines of United Nations (UN).
- It is the inaugural Africa-India Field Training Exercise in which all 18 countries (17 African countries and India) took part.
- The exercise held at Pune.
- Cyclone ‘IDAI’ hit the coast of Mozambique (an African country) on 15th March 2019.
- Cyclone IDAI caused large scale destruction and loss of lives.
- India is actively doing Humanitarian efforts in Mozambique.
- Ships of the First Training Squadron of the Indian Navy (Sujata, Sarathi and Shardul) are at work.
- Chetak helicopter of Indian Navy is also involved in the humanitarian assistance in Mozambique.
- Mozambique is officially called as the Republic of Mozambique.
- is a country located in Southeast Africa bordered by the Indian Ocean to the east.
- Its Official language is Portuguese.
- Its Currency is Mozambican metical (MZN).
Pic Credit : PIB INS Kadmatt
- Indian Navy to take part in the 15th edition of LIMA-19 (Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition).
- Indian Navy’s frontline ASW corvette, INS Kadmatt arrived at Langkawi, Malaysia.
- Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition,LIMA-19 is a seven day event.
- INS Kadmatt (P 29) is an indigenous stealth anti-submarine warfare corvette. The ship is fitted with state of the art weapons, sensors and machinery.
- Malaysia and India are maritime neighbours.
What is a corvette
- Corvette is a small warship and it is the smallest class of vessel in sea to be considered a proper warship.
- Above warship class is the frigate which is bigger than corvette.
Weekly PIB Gist March
Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu
- In a first, the Indian Army to take its maiden Mountaineering Expedition to Mt Makalu (8485m).
- The objective is of summiting all challenging peaks above 8000M, which will start from Mt Makalu.
- Mt Makalu is considered the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,485 metres.
- Mt Makalu located in the southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and Tibet, China.
- Mt Makalu is considered amongst the most dangerous peaks.
- To summit the peak one has to go through the freezing temperatures and inclement weather conditions which is considered very challenging.
- Mt Makalu is an isolated peak & whose shape is like that of a four-sided pyramid.
Top five highest peaks of the world
- Mount Everest (8848m), Nepal
- Also called “Sagarmatha” in Nepali or Chomolungma in Tibetan.
- It got its name after a survey by the Land Surveyor General ’Sir George Everest’.
- Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and Edmund Hillary was the first one on earth to climb Mount Everest in May 1953.
- Mount K2 (8611m), Pakistan China
- Mt K2 is situated on the border of China and Pakistan.
- The name K2 stands for the 2nd peak in the Karakoram Range.
- Mt K2 also known as Mount Godwin-Austen or Chhogori.
- Mt K2 is the second highest mountain in the world, after Mount Everest.
- Mount Kanchenjunga (8586m), Nepal/India
- Mount Kanchenjunga is located in both parts, Nepal and India.
- Kanchenjunga is also known as “The Five Treasures of Snows”.
- Mount Lhotse (8511m), Nepal
- Mount Lhotse is connected to Mount Everest.
- Lhotse is located on the border of Nepal and Tibet.
- Also known as one of the most deadly mountains in the world.
- Mount Makalu (8485m), Nepal
- Mount Makalu is the fifth highest mountain on the earth with an elevation of 8485m.
- Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy were the first people on the earth to climb Mt Makalu.
What is Mankad run out in Cricket
# Mankad is a type of dismissal where the bowler runs out the batsman at the non-striker end when the batsman leaves the crease before the bowler throws the ball to the batsman at the strikers end.
# The dismissal is named after the great ex India cricketer Vinoo Mankad who was the first to do this type of dismissal.
# Vinoo Mankad did this in a Test against Australia in 1947.
# Recently this came in news when in the ongoing cricket tournament Indian Premier League where the KXIP captain Ravichandran Ashwin did this typ of dismissal (mankaded).
photo is for illustration purpose not original
- India now space superpower after successfully testing the Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Missile, where it has shot down a low-orbit satellite using ASAT missile.
- India joins the elite club of space superpower after USA, Russia & China, where it has mastered this anti-satellite (ASAT) missile technology.
- India is now only the 4th country to acquire such a specialized & modern capability.
- Entire effort of making a missile of shooting down satellite in space is indigenous.
- Also as there are no treaties governing the use of ASAT(anti-satellite) missile technology, India is not violating any international conventions.
- A 14 days joint training exercise of the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army called Exercise MITRA SHAKTI VI.
- Focus of the exercise is to train and equip the contingents to undertake joint counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations in urban/ rural environment under the United Nations flag.
Vijayawada Railway station gets Gold rating
One of the busiest railway junctions in the country, Vijayawada Railway station has received Gold rating.
Gold rating is given by Indian Green Building Council.
Vijayawada Railway station boasts of
- 100% LED lighting,
- Five star rated fans,
- Motors & pumps and
- Solar water heating systems.
World Happiness Report 2019
- India got a rank of 140 in the list of 156 countries.
- Even Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka are happier than India.
- Finland is considered the most happier with a number 1 rank followed by Denmark and then Norway on the third.
- Last in the list is the Caribbean country Haiti (Continent : North America).
- World Happiness Report is a survey in which the state of global happiness is taken into account.
- World Happiness Report is a survey done on 156 countries by how happy their citizens perceive themselves to be.
- This year in 2019 World Happiness Report focuses on happiness and the community.
- This is the 7th World Happiness Report.
- The first World Happiness report was released in April 2012 in support of a UN High level meeting on “Wellbeing and Happiness: Defining a New Economic Paradigm”
Election Commission & Indian Railways collaborates
Pic Credit: PIB
Election Commission of India & Indian Railways collaborated for Voter Awareness Campaign for Lok Sabha Election 2019.
In this Four long distance Trains has been chosen to carry voter awareness messages.
Chosen trains are:
- Kerala Express
- Himsagar Express
- Howrah Express
- Guwahati Express
These trains have been selected on the longest North-South route and East-West route and cover 19 States in all.
The Train displays important contact details for the citizens including the Voter Helpline number and the National Voters’ Services Portal.
The Train will also display motivational messages urging them to Vote.
Weekly PIB Gist March
What is Hikikomori
A new phenomenon has been found among middle aged people of Japan of around 40 years of age known as hikikomori.
This widespread phenomenon called Hikikomori where some 6,00,000 Japanese people over 40 are living in complete isolation from society, staying at home for more than six months without social interaction.
Among this large number of 6,00,000, 75% of which is male who is affected by this pehnomenon called Hikikomori.
Weekly PIB Gist March
GI CERTIFICATION FOR FIVE VARIETIES OF INDIAN COFFEE
Geographical Indication Tag/Certification also known as GI Certification has been given to the five varieties of Indian Coffee recently.
Geographical indication (GI) is a name or sign used on certain products which corresponds to a specific geographical location or origin.
The varieties of Coffee getting the GI Tag are:
- Araku Valley Arabica coffee
- Bababudangiris Arabica coffee
- Coorg Arabica coffee
- Chikmagalur Arabica coffee
- Wayanaad Robusta coffee – It is grown specifically in the region of Wayanad district which is situated on the eastern portion of Kerala.
Also it should be noted that The Monsooned Malabar Robusta Coffee, a unique specialty coffee from India, was given GI certification earlier.
WHO GIVES GI CERTIFICATION
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India awards Geographical Indication (GI) or GI Certification.
Darjeeling tea became the first GI tagged product in India, in 2004-05. There are a total of 325 products from India that carry this indication.